Two women seeking equality in a state where some couples are more equal than others.

Sunday, January 17, 2016

More pics: beautiful mess that is #fixerupperdetroit

My game face and awesome outfit before I tackled the fiberglass insulation on the ceiling of my office.
 I know some of you are worried about me doing all of these projects. I can't say that demo is my favorite way to spend the free time of an entire week, which is looking like what might happen, but here is what I keep reminding myself:

This is my beautiful mess.

This is the middle, not the end.

If the house were already perfect, I wouldn't have been able to afford it. 

Therefore, my house's imperfections are the reason I can live in a neighborhood that I absolutely love.



It doesn't make me love demolition, but it reminds me why I do it.

So here are more photos from today, I hope to help you understand the importance of this part of our journey.

This is the insulation that was covering this beautiful bead board. I ended up giving up and asking our contractor to finish taking it down because my skin was reacting so much to the chemicals, even with the getup in the above picture.

Imagine this ceiling without the paper and icky insulation. I think it will be lovely with the sun streaming in all those windows.
Remember the not-awful kitchen from the photo tour video a couple weeks ago? Please remember it. I don't want you to think all Detroit homes start in this state or require this level of rehab because . . . Yeah, now this looks like a scene straight out of Rehab Addict - gutted down to the studs and subfloor (well, almost down to the subfloor - if you want to help finish that off, please please please please let me know.)

Dumpstie (that's a dumpster selfie) - continuing to fill!

No comments:

Post a Comment