Two women seeking equality in a state where some couples are more equal than others.

Monday, January 25, 2016

Confessions: Yelp's Star System is Pointless, But the Reviews Help

I'm Yelp Elite. I attained Elite 15 status last year and this year, I was renewed as Elite 16. It's been a good ride - free tickets to things (the upcoming one is a pair of tickets to Indulgence in Royal Oak), updates in my inbox about different food trends in metro Detroit, a social network that helps me plan my work meetings better. So I like Yelp, and I use it. Often.

But some parts of it are nearly pointless, including the star rating system (1-5), unless a business has a LOT of reviews. Why? Because people overuse the 1 and 5 star ratings. I can't tell you how many reviews I've read that described a single lackluster or just fine experience that included one negative (and probably fixable) element, and then gave the business one star. The algorithm tries to prioritize reviews that take more into account and show actual reflection, but for new businesses or the types of businesses that aren't typical Yelp fodder, it doesn't always help.

And I've noticed some things from reading so many reviews.

1. People are obsessed with their food coming fast.

Seriously, unless you're at a fast food restaurant, you're going to have to wait. Especially if you didn't make a reservation. Especially if you came at a peak time. That's just how it works.

2. People expect everywhere to operate the way large chains do.

Does it make me sad that Love & Buttercream isn't open on Sundays and Mondays? Yes. Do I wish more libraries were open later on Fridays? Yes. But doing that kind of staffing either costs a lot of money or is cruel to employees, and feeling entitled to everything all the time isn't a reflection of a healthy society.

3. There are so few second chances.

Typically, I try to visit a place at least twice before I write a review. That way, I have a fuller picture of what's going on. Maybe the first menu item I ordered wasn't great - that doesn't mean the whole menu sucks. Or maybe it took them a while to get settled in and the service improved substantially. I edit my reviews with some regularity, and I always try to be fair.



Yelp is one of the only places I don't feel guilty posting pictures of food.

Some parts of Yelp play to the worst in human nature. It feels almost anonymous and allows people to vent their opinions with little oversight. The Elite program was established to lend more credibility through a vetting process, but it's definitely not a panacea.

Still, reading the reviews has helped me make plans, so I'll keep using it for as long as it serves.

No comments:

Post a Comment