Two women seeking equality in a state where some couples are more equal than others.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Fine, I Won't Ignore the Starbucks Red Cups

Okay readers. I've seen a lot of posts about the red cups. A lot of outrage.

From the people that don't care about the cups. And are making fun of the people who do care about the cups.

Except I've seen hardly anyone fussing about these cups. Of course, these people exist. I'm sure there are a few people upset about the red cup controversy, and there a few people promoting this. Donald Trump has now weighed in to suggest a boycott. But I think this is a minority, a small, trace number of people. Even the War on Christmas Christian Persecution Complex group for the most part seems to realize that this isn't the biggest issue.

And so people are making fun of this ridiculous thing. Some conservative people are playing into this whole mess, but the vast, vast majority of Christians are focused on the more important parts of the season: charity, family, reflection. The vast majority of Christians is chastising the group complaining about the red cups.

Those of you making fun of that tiny group are fanning the flames by giving them press, and you're encouraging them to double down. If they're this upset over something so meaningless, no social media meme is going to get them to be reasonable.

I avoid Starbucks when possible, though if students ask to meet there I usually acquiesce. I don't do that because of the cup color, but because I try to support local, family-owned shops as much as possible, I don't like paying $5 for a latte, and honestly, a lot of Starbucks shops are too loud for me to get work done.

Here are other things I avoid: coffee that isn't fair trade - I don't need trafficked children producing my food. I can spare a few extra cents for the workers to be treated well. Chocolate that isn't fair trade - not only is fair trade cocoa better for workers, it tends to be better quality and taste more delicious.

I do believe we vote with our dollars. And I think voting for kind treatment of children and families all over the world is more important than what color a cup is. I believe that if we as consumers push for ethical treatment of all and put our money where our mouths are, we can accomplish great things. I believe that because we are so removed from our food and the producers of almost everything, we have lost sight of how important is that people work with dignity. So let's leverage our dollars to tell corporations that we want workers to be treated well, that modern day slavery needs to end, that we value quality over quantity.

No comments:

Post a Comment