Two women seeking equality in a state where some couples are more equal than others.

Thursday, November 26, 2015

Confessions: I'm Thankful that My Wife is Working Today (for surprising reasons)

I'm thankful that Rebecca is working today.

Not because I wanted to spend the day without her - I wish that I could spend this holiday and every holiday with my beloved helpmate.

Not because of the holiday pay, though I believe she will be paid a little extra.

Not because I approve of the kinds of shifts they've been forcing her to work - today is only 13 hours, but she averages 80 hours a week on rotations like this and has worked shifts as long as 28 hours this month.

I'm thankful that she is working in the ICU today because I can't imagine a more challenging holiday than having a loved one in intensive care, fighting to survive. I can't imagine having to discuss whether to intubate or resuscitate a loved one on a holiday like this. And I know that Rebecca will be as compassionate as possible. I know that she will explain to them gently, answer their questions, and keep patients as comfortable and dignified as possible. She will, today as all days, put the family in family medicine.

I would want that if a loved one or I were in the hospital, especially on a holiday like today. I take comfort in knowing that staff at a major metropolitan hospital - staff such as my wife and her colleagues - is there to care for the families struggling through illnesses.

She is away from her family. So are the other residents, nurses, attendings, mid-level providers, custodians, cooks, cafeteria workers, social workers, paramedics, and so many others. If you are not in the hospital and don't have a healthcare worker family member on the list, it's easy to forget the sacrifices they are making to care for people. It's easy to take it for granted. It's easy to sit down at a table in front of a home-cooked meal and forget that those at the hospital are lucky to get enough of a break to make it down to eat cafeteria food. It's easy to pat a full tummy and lay down for a nap while healthcare workers fight to stay awake near the end of a long shift.

I am thankful that my wife is working today, because it means we live in a place where we can count on medical care. I am thankful that other families will have compassionate providers to help them.

Even if I miss her.

No comments:

Post a Comment