Two women seeking equality in a state where some couples are more equal than others.

Monday, November 9, 2015

Confessions: I Fell Apart Today - Good Thing Rebecca is My Glue

It's been a while since a MI Gay Day post. It's time for another. Today's gay agenda:

6 am-ish - I barely remember, but I think Rebecca kissed me goodbye before leaving for the hospital

7:30 am - I got up, made huevos rancheros and coffee, got dressed, threw on moisturizer and blush, and snuggled my kitties

9:00 am - Called our mortgage agent to check in about our close date and having our credit reports checked. Ended up leaving a voicemail.

9:15 am - Called a leasing office about an apartment. Printed documents to help them verify our income.

10:30 am - Arrived to said leasing office to view apartments. Saw a few units, found one that would work, filled out an application, asked a LOT of questions. Drove home.

1:00 pm - Got home, microwaved something out of the freezer for lunch because I don't want to have to move frozen items. Checked e-mail, got a message asking me to work tomorrow, sent a volley of messages requesting more specifics

2:00 pm - Dropped off a form at our current leasing office, went to the pharmacy, got my flu champ (didn't flinch or fuss), got a call from the mortgage agent letting me know that we're on track to close on time and that having our credit pulled shouldn't be an issue (BEST news all day)

4:00 pm - Came home, was gearing up to make a bunch of phone calls to get the new apartment set when the new leasing office called to let me know that the unit fell through.

I had a meltdown. I lost it. I kept it together enough to stay coherent on the phone, but the leasing agent knew I was having a hard time. They found something else to put on hold for us - it's at a higher price point, which is less than ideal, but I told them to hang onto it for us for now. Once I hung up, I sobbed. Uncontrollably. The kind of sob where you don't make a sound because your face is frozen because you could barely handle the situation and now somehow it is worse and you just don't know how this is going to be okay.

4:35 pm - Rebecca texted to say she was out of work early and headed up. Thank goodness. I sent another message about the work situation I still hadn't heard about.

5:00 pm - Rebecca arrived home. I had another meltdown where I told her how overwhelmed and alone I felt. I explained what happened with the apartments and the new unit and the phone calls and the work situation I still hadn't heard back about. She started going through the to-do list, filled out her part of the rental application, pulled up the floorplan of the backup apartment, reassured me that we could make it work, and asked me what else she could do.

5:45 pm - I started dinner, more things out of the freezer, because if there's any part of a to-do list I CAN get through this week, it's emptying the fridge and freezer of most items, and somehow it's comforting to use things up and save on the grocery budget when I'm feeling vulnerable financially.

7:00 pm - A friend messaged to let me know that she can come help me start packing tomorrow. That's such a relief, as I'm not great at packing and will procrastinate. Anyone else who wants to come help will be hugged about 15 times and fed brownies, coffee, and pantry food. Also baked French toast or huevos rancheros if you're into that.

7:30 pm - After Rebecca agreed, I called someone else about the work situation I still hadn't heard on. She started looking into it, and it became apparent that I wasn't the only one out of the loop, which was both frustrating and comforting.

8:00 pm - I started a batch of homemade brownies, because brownies make any day better and I wanted to finish up some things from the pantry.

9:00 pm - Brownies came out of the oven, the roommies best friend stopped by for dessert, and I got an e-mail canceling the short-notice shift for tomorrow in recognition of the fact that it's a short shift.

10:00 pm - I settled into the couch, got my writing for the day started, and tried to make a list of all the things about the new apartment that will be better than the current one. Silver linings club. And let myself smile radiantly about the news that we're on track to close. And that Rebecca and I are going to have a house. And that somehow this amazing woman knew how broken I am, and where all my cracks are, and (presumably) how many more times I would fall apart, and signed up to put me back together and tell me it will be okay and love me unconditionally.

I'm crying again just thinking about it, but I know we'll be okay, because my brilliant helpmate said so.

No comments:

Post a Comment