Two women seeking equality in a state where some couples are more equal than others.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Confessions: Why I'm Growing My Hair Out

I've been in the process of growing my hair out for the last four years or so - I chopped it off shortly before I started my MA in 2010, loved it for a year, and then started the process of growing it a year or so later. There were some awkward stages, but by 2012, I was well on my way.

It's gotten really long now, past the point I planned. Some days, it's unmanageable, though hairstyles like this manage to tame it:
This upside-down French herringbone into a bun is a little tricky to do, but it's one of the best methods I've found for securing my hair out of my face and off my neck. To do it, start a French two-strand braid near the nape of your neck (hang your head down or have a friend help), then add pieces from the sides until you get as high as you want, gather the rest of your hair, and then braid to the end and tuck into a bun. 

I've written about passing for straight, beauty standards, my personal style, skincare, and signaling behavior including long hair as a way of passing or not, but it's not about any of those things. The real reason is a little silly and a little embarrassing:

I want to braid it like Princess Leia for the Star Wars movie coming out in December.

So nope, no gay agenda today. Just a nerdy love of an epic battle between good and evil. And a desire to emulate a well-spoken, strong diplomat who happens to be a woman and a rebel.

I've been practicing my braiding skills and will have to start a Pinterest board soon (yep, I'm on Pinterest if you want to follow me). I probably won't do the most quintessential double cinnamon bun look, but I'm hoping to evoke the feel.

And I need a LOT of hair for that.

1 comment:

  1. I think, if there ever is a particular reason, then this is in the top three most compelling reasons ever!

    ReplyDelete