Two women seeking equality in a state where some couples are more equal than others.

Monday, October 26, 2015

Confessions: Why I'm Literally a Lipstick Lesbian Right Now

The word literally is overused in English. I use it with care here, as the direct opposite of the word figuratively, and as taking in the real sense something that often is symbolic.

That is, the idea of the "lipstick lesbian." Also known as a femme, doe, or the more feminine person in a same-sex relationship. I've written on this before, a lot.

Lately, I've actually been wearing lipstick with some regularity, not to seem more attractive.

Nope.

I'm a little ashamed to admit that I have a lip-biting habit, especially when it starts to get dry outside during Michigan fall and winter. Sometimes I will bite the dead skin so hard that it's raw. I need to stop, and one of the best ways to do that is to apply lipstick. It doesn't make me want to stop biting my lips, but it makes me more worried about getting lipstick on my teeth than whatever else I was fussing over. And getting a good lipstick application in means keeping lips exfoliated and moisturized, which for some reason I'm more willing to do for aesthetic reasons than comfort ones.

So, given that this is a lifestyle blog, here are some products I've started using in this journey to break the habit:

Trader Joe's peppermint lip balm - dirt cheap, very moisturizing
Tarte Ritzy lipsurgence - a coral-colored lipstick that for me is a little peachier than my natural lip color, but not so much that I feel weird about it. It stays put pretty well,
Tarte Glamorous lipsurgence - a raspberry lipstick that again, is a little darker and more purple than my natural color, but not too much
Me, wearing Tarte Glamorous and enjoying our balcony for what I hope what won't be the last time this season

Tarte lip exfoliant - helps me keep that dry skin at bay and gets a more even color

No comments:

Post a Comment