Two women seeking equality in a state where some couples are more equal than others.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The Best Weatherperson I Know: Ron Hilliard, America's Meteorologist

I know some of my posts lately have been on the heavy side. Life is heavy, but not everything is falling apart. I want to share something I’ve been treasuring lately.

In recent weeks, a very bright spot for me has been watching a friend from back in college pursue his dreams, incrementally but relentlessly. I met Ron Hilliard in a multicultural group and then had the joy of seeing him when we were both studying abroad in Mexico. We've been in and out of touch, but most of the times I've seen him over the last ten years, something has been evident:

He wants to be a meteorologist.

Whether it was studying science, improving his Spanish, working for a local cable station, or attending Specs Howard, his life has persisted in that trend. He has kept his eyes on the prize. And although I have not seen the day-to-day reality, I get the feeling it’s been hard for him, some days very hard. But he persisted in the joy of his goal and of helping others in ways he’s uniquely gifted to.

Now his talents have been recognized - he'll be appearing in a reality TV show, America's Next Weatherman. (I wish it were “Next Weatherperson - there will be female candidates, and screw the gender binary.) It sounds hilarious - and it's on Funny or Die - so if it's on Hulu Plus, I'll be watching.  He may win. He may not. Either way, I know that he's going to continue on this path and that he will reach his goal eventually.

His story has been on my mind for a while, perhaps because it gives me so much hope for the rest of us. This has taken a long time, and he's done a lot of things that aren't glamorous, and that road might not be over, but it's progress. Couldn't we all keep a story like that in our hearts for a cold day?

I hope you will join me in viewing this show and supporting a native Michigander as he embarks on this journey. You can like his pages on social media and share his work with others.

Funny Or Die Presents America’s Next Weatherman premieres on TBS Saturday, August 8 at 11 p.m. ET/PT. Rated TV-14-DL.

No comments:

Post a Comment