Two women seeking equality in a state where some couples are more equal than others.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Salvation Army

A friend recently posted a link about the Salvation Army's active participation in the denial of human rights. I'm completely flummoxed by the last example listed of their "assault on gay rights." Essentially the Salvation Army threatened to close all the soup kitchens in New York City because they didn't want to treat gay and straight employees equally.

I used to have a soft spot for the Salvation Army. My grandmother tells the story every year of a Christmas during her childhood when the Sal Army brought gifts because the family was too poor that year to afford to have Christmas. I put money in the buckets almost every time I passed one. However, I read about these policies a year or so ago and have been conflicted ever since. I haven't been putting money in the red buckets this year. I hope to hear someday that the Salvation Army has changed its policies.

No comments:

Post a Comment