Two women seeking equality in a state where some couples are more equal than others.

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Children, Hairspray, and Chely Wright

Rebecca and I are putting together music that we'd like to include in our ceremony and reception. I really wanted to use something from my days as a band geek. At first, I was really excited about Entry March of the Boyares, but Rebecca didn't like the feel of it - "too Russian," she said.

Then I recalled Children's March by Percy Grainger, a song that strongly featured the clarinet section in my sophomore year Harold and the Purple Crayon marching band show. I have fond memories of our rehearsals of the piece and love the happy melody. I played it for Rebecca, but she wasn't convinced. Then we started talking about Percy Grainger - she too had enjoyed the whimsy of his musical notation, although she can't remember what piece she played. So I pulled up Country Garden, which didn't sound familiar. When I played The Immovable Do, a song composed around the premise that the Do key on an organ had gotten stuck, she decided that she liked it. We had played this for concert band festival at some point, and one clear memory was of the announcer pronouncing the title as The Immovable Doo, as though we were playing for a hairspray commercial. (The correct pronunciation is The Immovable Doe, as in the scale Do-Re-Mi-Fa-So-La-Ti.)

That means we have one song, although we haven't determined where to place it yet. Our friend Cait Ryan will be singing a song during the ceremony, likely It Was by Chely Wright, a lesbian country singer who has recently come out and performed at our first Pride Parade (Cait's version will not be country-style, though). So that totals to two. We'll be looking for others for the next several months and would appreciate suggestions - especially of works composed by LGBTA musicians, but also of timeless, classic, and romantic pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment