Two women seeking equality in a state where some couples are more equal than others.

Friday, February 26, 2016

Update: #fixerupperdetroit in the eye of the storm

I haven't posted about the house much lately. After the stress of the purchase process and the drama of the land bank, and then the exhaustion of demolition, we reached a holding period in which we were waiting for estimates, measurements, approvals, permits, etc, and there really wasn't anything exciting to tell you.

Oh, although a few days ago, the contractor let me know that he is insisting on adding a wall in the basement bathroom to keep the kitchen floor from caving in.

I think normal people would freak out a little? At least because that sounds expensive and a little frightening?

And I just said, okay, do whatever you have to do, safety first, and so forth.

Some of that is because we trust Labra Design+Build so, so much.

Most of it is that after all of the previous struggle and the fact that we knew #fixerupperdetroit had issues, adding a wall seems manageable (especially since I don't have to do it myself). It seems minor. It's something we can control, unlike the land bank, or the seller, or the water department.

I haven't relaxed yet. I anticipate more struggles. We're planning to completely move in at the end of April even though it's not possible that the house will be done, and I'm sure that will have its own challenges. I feel like we're sort of in the eye of the storm.

It helps that our next door neighbor has been watching the contractors go in and out and texted me yesterday to tell me how excited she is for us. That's not the type of neighborhood you find every day. We're so blessed that she and many others were watching over the house and will continue to do so until we are there full time.

Deep breath. Soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment