Two women seeking equality in a state where some couples are more equal than others.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Confessions: Clothing I Wish I Never Had to Buy Again

Apparently I'm not a typical girly-girl. Who knew?

In spite of non-stereotypical behaviors such as (gasp!) wearing skirts and having long hair, I don't really enjoy shopping for most clothing items. I know this is a first world problem, as I am at a point in my life in which I can afford these items if I truly need. Here is a list of items I especially hate shopping for:

1. Slacks

Maybe because I grew up in pants that never seemed quite long enough, or because it's easy to fall prey to muffin top, or because the pockets are never big enough, or washing instructions are a pain, or the line between too loose and too tight is razor-thin. I'm fortunate that my employer doesn't often require business casual dress. I think I own one pair of slacks right now. I tried to buy more, almost had a meltdown, and gave up. I suppose someday I will have to try again, unless I make it a life goal never to work for an employer that requires business casual clothing.

2. Bras

Especially when it's chilly out, spending much time scantily clad isn't a fun proposal. Add the sticker shock, strangers measuring me, and the knowledge that in a few months, this article of clothing will probably attempt to stab me in the heart, and well, I put off bra shopping as long as possible. I've tried ordering online with little success - which I guess makes sense given how specifically they must fit - so I periodically trudge to the store. I suppose I could be a rebel and stop wearing this somewhat pointless undergarment, but I'm really not there yet.

3. Coats

This is mostly because I really love the coats I already have and want them to last forever. But coats are such a commitment. If properly cared for, a good coat can last for years, and I have a general policy of keeping things until they wear out. Therefore, I typically look for something I don't expect to go out of style. Add to that a penchant for buying coats that aren't black, and well, it's a bit of a challenge.

4. Socks

I would spend the year barefoot if I didn't live in Michigan. When I do wear socks, I have specific length and fabric requirements if I don't want to be tugging at them or despising my clammy, chilly feet. For some reason, bamboo socks have mostly not been in stock, and manufacturers seem to believe that I want socks that come to my knees or sit below my ankles. Sad panda.

5. Boots

Much like coats, I feel obligated to choose boots that will span multiple seasons. I also need soft-soled boots for proctoring (my students expect me to be a ninja), find the price of a good pair overwhelming, and need something I can wear for long periods without experiencing leg fatigue. Most women's boots aren't designed to meet all of those needs and still look chic.



Yes, these are first world problems, and I feel very fortunate that I can afford these items when necessary. I think a large part of the issue is how few designers live someplace like Michigan, where the weather gets cold and the streets get sloppy. I hope as Detroit continues to make its come-back, we see some of the designers there rise to influence with practical but awesome designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment