Two women seeking equality in a state where some couples are more equal than others.

Monday, November 10, 2014

I Eat Everything; I Support that You Don't

Some of you who are friends with me on Facebook may have noticed some of the hashtags I use:

#vegan #veganoption #glutenfree #vegetarian #dairyfree

These are pretty self explanatory.

And sometimes: #nofoodinmyfood

This is generally a reference to something that removes two or more food allergens - it's a little playful, but all in fun.

The last one I use pretty often is:

#thisfoodcontainsfood

This sometimes means that my food contains a lot of allergens, but it also means that it isn't processed. It's from scratch, from wholesome ingredients, and made with love. I eat everything, so this is fine for me.

But many of you have noticed that I post a lot of dishes that omit allergens anyway. Those of you who have come for dinner know that I will always ask you if you can't eat certain things. This can be a little inconvenient sometimes, but if I'm only omitting one or two things, I enjoy the challenge. It makes cooking into a little bit of a game.

That's not why I do it, though.

I do it for the look on a person's face when they thought they couldn't eat something, and they can. I make it because my loved ones feel extra loved. I make it because strangers and acquaintances are surprised and warmed by having good, thoughtful food that's nutritious and accessible. For me, food is love.

No comments:

Post a Comment