Two women seeking equality in a state where some couples are more equal than others.

Monday, July 20, 2015

Let's Talk Sandra Bland and White Privilege: I as a White woman won't die in police custody

I have so many privileges for being White. So so many.

And I also lack certain privileges for not being straight or in a heterosexual marriage (because privilege /= rights, keep in mind that now having my marriage recognized doesn't mean that I'm completely equal or that there have been reparations for the consistent, harmful denial of my civil rights over the past several years).

I know to some people when I talk about this lack of straight privilege and discrimination against my community, I come off as hysterical, bitter, whiny, or weak. I know that because people have occasionally commented to that effect. Very occasionally, mind you, but those are the people willing to tell me.

I also know that to many, Black women who talk about White privilege and discrimination against their community are also perceived as hysterical, angry, bitter, whiny, or even lazy and angry. I know this because I've seen comments like that on social media threads, things that say "just get over it" or that "slavery has ended and we have a Black president, so stop playing the victim."

And furthermore, I know that when I talk about discrimination against the African American community, I am less likely to be interpreted as just hysterical, bitter, whiny, or weak. This isn't okay, but since it is true, I'm going to use this platform, as becoming very usual lately, to drop some more truth for you.

I've been pulled over a few times in the last year or so. It makes sense. I drive a lot, to places I've never been before. A couple times I have been speeding, mostly because I wasn't sure of the speed limit and was just following traffic. I could tell you that it wasn't my fault, but that's not of substance. I wasn't obeying the law, and I deserved the consequences. None of you will tell me that I deserved to be beaten or shot for a traffic violation though.

So here it is, 

No comments:

Post a Comment