Two women seeking equality in a state where some couples are more equal than others.

Saturday, October 25, 2014

My Response to "All About that Bass"

A catchy new song claiming to be "body positive " has hit the airwaves. "All About that Bass" features lines about not wanting to be a silicon Barbie doll and not worrying about your size. And yet, I find it problematic.

I will not claim that skinny shaming is the same as fat shaming. It's not. But implying that skinny women are bitches just for that or that they are actually undesirable to men does nothing to encourage women to be comfortable in their own skin. 

When I hear this, I wonder if I am considered a skinny bitch. I have certainly never been overweight medically, but I am not a size zero. I like the lines of my body now and feel good in my favorite clothes, so I guess it doesn't matter. And it's not really my concern if men like "a little more booty to hold at night." I think my booty is fabulous, whether or not men want me. Whether or not women want me.

Is it possible that we could have a song about how beautiful a woman's laugh is or her sense of humor? Let me hear a song about how she supports her friends or rocks out or can present an awesome marketing pitch. I am so much more than my body, and I am not for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment