Two women seeking equality in a state where some couples are more equal than others.

Thursday, August 28, 2014

MI Love: What's Always in My Fridge?

So I recently posted about kitchen staples, with a focus on affordable and space-saving dry and canned goods. I did promise that at some point I'd address things for the refrigerator. So what do I think I should always have in the fridge?

1. Plain Greek yogurt

I like Fage - get whatever percentage milkfat you prefer. My favorite is 2%. Greek yogurt can be substituted for sour cream or ricotta in baking, or even thinned with milk and used in place of buttermilk. It's also delicious to eat plain or with chopped fruit, of course. I also use it in moussaka topping (with egg and cheese) instead of using cream.

2. Eggs

I eat a lot of eggs - I'm basically trying to eat them every day. We usually poach or fry them, but scrambling, omelettes, or even quiches are great options too. They're cheap and nutritious.

3. Cheese

I admit to eating cheese. I like Babybel because it's easy and portable and not too expensive. But I usually have other types of cheese - smoked gouda, fresh mozzarella, feta (Bulgarian-style is my favorite - it's creamier and more flavorful), sharp cheddar, goat cheese . . . the important thing is to have a plan for how you will finish it if you buy a lot. Oh, and I always have some kind of Parmesan for fresh grating. This is another great secret ingredient.

4. Jam

Lately, I'm in love with fig jam, but I also love marmalade, strawberry jam, and others. These can be added to salad dressings, thinned into glazes, or eaten spread on other things. Try a little fig jam and spicy mustard on an egg and bacon sandwich. You might be surprised how delicious it is.

5. Coconut or Almond Milk

Rebecca is lactose (or casein or milkfat) intolerant, so we keep other non-dairy milks on hand pretty much all the time. These can usually be substituted in baking recipes, although I wouldn't try them in chowder or cream sauces.

6. Yeast

I should post my focaccia recipe if I haven't. I make it regularly and people are always impressed, but it's not that hard. You of course can keep yeast in envelopes, but I buy the jar and keep it in the fridge because it ends up cheaper in the long run.

7. Barbecue Sauce

We've been really into the Brownwood varieties of this lately - cherry and Yankee bourbon especially. Barbecue sauce is an easy way to add flavor. My mother-in-law actually adds it to chili instead of making her own seasoning blend. You can also throw it into taco meat, beef stew, or even toss a little in with greens you're simmering or sauteing.

8. Strawberries (or Grapes)

During the summer, I try to make sure this is true. If you've followed the other staple suggestions about cheese, olives, and pickled jalape~os, strawberries are one of the last items you'd need to throw together an impromptu cheese plate for a gathering. Crackers or crostini are also a good idea, but you could even use tortillas chips or rice cakes. Grapes would work for this instead of strawberries. I actually just had a gorgonzola and grape pizza at Crispelli's that was amazing.

9. Salty meat

My vegan friends will disagree with this, but my paleo friends will support it. When I started taking one of my medications, I found that I actually needed to increase my sodium. I also have trouble getting enough calories some days because my stomach is easily upset. Bacon (I like Kowalski) or salami (I like Hoffman's Hard) help with both of these problems. Prosciutto would also be good if you don't mind how expensive it is - I could put prosciutto in almost anything . . . but I don't. If you buy it, get it from a reputable deli and have it sliced so thinly that light passes through it. It's so flavorful, you don't need much, especially if you're combining it with freshly grated Parmesan or fresh herbs. I recommend the deli at Produce Palace International in Warren (mostly because I used to work there). If you decide to get this from Holiday Market in Royal Oak, please ask for John Suarez and tell him that you would like it thin but not shaved, you want to see the first slice, and you would like papers between (just kidding, don't really do that. It's a deli employee joke.).

Again, this is not exhaustive, but it gives you some idea how to play the remnant game successfully or to be ready for impromptu entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment