Two women seeking equality in a state where some couples are more equal than others.

Friday, August 29, 2014

MI Love: Vegetarian Substitutions

I am not a vegetarian. I have given up meat in the past for Lent, but I do routinely eat all types of meat. That said, I serve vegetarian meals throughout the week, and I have enough vegetarian friends that I've gotten used to cooking without meat (or, for my vegetarian/vegan friends, dead animal carcasses). Reducing meat consumption can help balance the grocery budget, forces me to consider options other than the "typical" American diet, and introduces a push to get different vitamins and minerals.

Many people thinking that cooking vegetarian meals is difficult because they will struggle to add flavor or get protein. Some might believe that in order to be vegetarian, they have to eat a lot of tofu. Tofu isn't bad - I prepare it occasionally - and the jury seems still to be out on that whole estrogen thing. But eating vegetarian food can actually be delicious and nutritious, and no one has to eat tofu.

So what do I do to get around meat? Here are a few tricks (mostly using staples mentioned recently):

1. A dusting of smoked paprika in place of bacon or other smoked meat

You can also add a little sea salt for this. I recently made a crostini topped with goat cheese, Vernor's poached peaches, arugula, and bacon. But there were a few vegetarian guests attending that party, so I lightly dusted half with smoked paprika. Not only does it add dramatic color, but the smoky/salty flavor adds that profile back to the dish.

2. Lentils in place of ground beef

If cooked and seasoned properly, you might be surprised how much lentils can taste and feel like ground meat. I first had them this way when friends served lentil tacos, but I've done them this way since. Recently, I added them to a tomato mixture with mushrooms to soak up tomato juices and affect texture. It also added some protein to the dish.

3. Mushrooms

Mushrooms are so delicious in stock - they add richness and color. Rebecca likes the baby portabella ones, but anything will work. I promise, almost anything you're currently making with poultry stock or beef stock will be just as delicious with mushroom stock (of course, if you want to dial it up, add chipotle peppers, garlic, onion, and fresh or dried herbs). I'll also dice them and saute them and then season them like beef. These are good with beans, on pizza, and in many other preparations. Plus, mushrooms are a "good source of Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Iron, Magnesium and Zinc, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Riboflavin, Niacin, Folate, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Potassium, Copper, Manganese and Selenium." Mushrooms are fat free and low in sodium, also, if that's a consideration for you. You can also consider reducing the amount of meat you're using and filling in with diced mushrooms to stretch you meal.

4. Spice
I love adding chili powder, a medium spicy curry powder (yes, I know that this is not authentic Indian food, but it is convenient and easier to store than the liquid form), srirachi, adobo sauce from the chipotle pepper can, and ground red and black pepper. These things can serve as a natural mood elevator and take foods from bland to boom. Consider adding these to foods you wouldn't normally - I've even thrown it into soups that I used to make with more of a French herb blend (yes, you probably have to make other adjustments in this case). Spice is great with mushrooms, beans, tofu, or even on things like pecans and cashews.

Like normal, this isn't exhaustive, but I hope it might help friends who want to try some vegetarian meals to test the waters.

No comments:

Post a Comment