Two women seeking equality in a state where some couples are more equal than others.

Friday, August 8, 2014

MI Love: Motor City Brewing

Apparently I'm on a roll with these MI love posts. I'm also getting used to the idea of eating alone at restaurants because of all this 30 hour shift business Rebecca is working at Henry Ford Main's trauma surgery unit.

Tonight I went shopping with a fabulous friend, Molon, who has great taste in shoes and also seems to be a lucky charm for the store stocking my size. Then I picked up our CSA share (I really need to do one of these posts about Faith Farm CSA). And then going home to an empty (except for two very loving cats) house seemed like too much, so I took myself to dinner at Motor City Brewing in Midtown Detroit. I was happy to see that there were open seats by the counter next to the kitchen area. I love watching the staff shape the pizza dough, deftly top it, and pop it in the oven. They have a legit brick oven and their dough makes a perfect thin crust.

I spent a while looking at the menu and then ordered what I always do - the roasted pear and fig. It has caramelized onions, gorgonzola, and . . .  roasted pear and figs. I didn't know how much I like figs until I had the fig hazelnut compote at Traffic Jam and Snug (and I should do a post about them too). My Chaldean students explained how to make fig jam last year, but once I found it at Horrock's, I haven't tried it.

I have tried other things from the menu, and all of them have been amazing, but I keep coming back to the tempered sweetness and the creamy, slight bitterness of the gorgonzola on that thin crust.

Oh, the brewery part. I'm not really into beer, but Rebecca loves some of their brews.

The only warning I can provide is that parking near Motor City's front door is limited. There's more off an alley around back, but it's a little tricky to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment