Two women seeking equality in a state where some couples are more equal than others.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

MI Love: Happy Belly Bakeries

As I said in my previous post, I haven't focused enough lately on why I love Michigan. To counter that, here is another MI love post. I hope two in a row doesn't feel like too much!

Today I'm sharing my love for Happy Belly Bakeries. I will admit that I am not paleo. In fact, I eat pretty much anything. I try to focus on whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and leaner meats, but I eat gluten, soy, dairy, and everything else that people have decided is possibly toxic. So why do I still love a bakery that avoids basically every common allergen/sensitivity?

Because the products are delicious. Because their protein bars have 200 calories, which is enough to hold me over, unlike the diet 100 calorie crap sold at the grocery store that don't make me feel full or good in the first place. Because their energy releases slowly. Because Rebecca has finally found a quick breakfast that holds her for four hours. Because she believes that maybe, just maybe, she can lose some weight without being hungry all the time. Because now that I live in Royal Oak, I'm eligible to have my goodies delivered . . .

And because it's run by my friend Lynn, who is a fabulous lady with three amazing daughters. Whether or not I agree with all of the restrictions in the paleo diet, she is helping people to eat better and she's pursuing her passions and convictions. If there's anything I've learned from my life as a lesbian, it's that we don't all have to agree to get along. We don't have to make the same choices as other people to support their right to make choices.

So here's to Happy Belly! I hope you will find their products as delicious and wholesome as I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment