Two women seeking equality in a state where some couples are more equal than others.

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

My Paperwork Cat in Training

About this time in 2010, Rebecca and I brought Dorian home. While he was timid at first, he became incredibly loyal. I didn't know that cats would wait for their humans at the door after a long day, or hold hands, or head-nudge to request petting. His 15 pound body filled up our apartment so that I wasn't lonely when Rebecca spent long days in class or at the hospital.

He crossed the Rainbow Bridge this summer (read more here). Cesar brings us so much joy, but there are a few things he has never learned to help with, including my paperwork and writing.

Being a paperwork cat is a special calling.

It requires just the right amount of presence. Not so much that my attention is required. A paperwork cat can't actually sit on my lap because my laptop needs to be there.

But full-on napping or too much distance isn't enough.

Dorian had it down. He would snuggle in, purr, and leave me to it. Cesar always wants to be on my lap. He never manages to balance his presence to comfort and focus me without distracting me.

Harrison is cuddled up next to me as I write this. He periodically looks up at me or puts his paw on my leg, as though he's reassuring me. He's still a kitten, so he's a little bit more active than Dorian, but he shows great promise. I hope that by the time I'm ready to write my memoirs, he'll be a fully-trained, trustworthy paperwork cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment