Two women seeking equality in a state where some couples are more equal than others.

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Announcement: Commit in the Mitt and #fixerupperdetroit are participating in NaBloPoMo!

It's National Blog Post Month, and I'm having another go!

Last year, I committed to do it and then we ended up in the midst of a mold infestation, moving on short notice, while trying to get closed on #fixerupperdetroit with a very difficult seller. I'd like to think I did pretty well under the circumstances, but I missed a lot of days.

Over the last few months, I've been inconsistent about posting. Rehabbing and getting situated in a historic home has taken most of my free time, and I've told myself that I'm too tired to write.

My takeaway from NaBloPoMo last year, though, was that I'm not a writer if I don't write.

So I'm trying again.

I'm writing while sitting in a fully furnished, painted living room. Harrison and Cesar are playing on the rug. I have a dining room table that could comfortably seat at least ten people. Our housewarming is scheduled. By the end of the month, my sunroom office might be done.

I'm not sure I'll ever believe that I own #fixerupperdetroit or that we get to stay here forever if we want to. We've been so nomadic up to this point. Many days, I feel like I don't deserve a house this beautiful.

And then I see the "Notice to Owner" sign from the Detroit Land Bank Authority that I framed and put above the fireplace and remember the struggles that we fought through to be here (find that back story here if you've joined us more recently). I watch the video of what our house looked like when we closed. She was always beautiful to me, but I'm astounded to see the transformation. I am blessed and privileged beyond compare, but I have also worked incredibly hard to be where I am.

I will end with a quote that I can't find an attribution for (if you know who said it, please let me know and I'll update):

When you have more than you need, build a longer table, not a higher fence.

No comments:

Post a Comment