Two women seeking equality in a state where some couples are more equal than others.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Christina Stands with PP: Preemie's Mom Shares


Edit: This post is a follow-up to Confessions: I'm Not Pro-Life Anymore and  Dr. Rebecca Talks Abortion .

Two and a half years ago, I had a baby, and that changed my stance on abortion for good. While most people would not think of giving birth as a reason to desire to advocate for the ability to terminate pregnancy, my case was different. My sweet daughter was born early, very early--14 weeks early to be exact-- and for that, I had to spend 90 days in the highest level of Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, or NICU at Texas Children’s Hospital. I saw what is required to keep a 26 week old baby alive. Seeing the extensive medical care that many children with various complications from birth required was a key moment in my decision to be pro-women’s health rights, pro-proper sex education, and ultimately pro-choice. Recent photos of “aborted fetuses” posted by pro-life people on Facebook have been emotional triggers to me, in that most of them aren’t actual aborted fetuses, but premature babies. 
Hazel, as a tiny preemie - you should see her now!
That, and some introspection inspired me to share my feelings about how we, as a nation of people who should want to care for our women and children, could realistically handle the issue of abortion.

Abortion will never go away. There is no way to outlaw all abortions; we can only outlaw safe abortions. The only way to reduce the amount of abortions that happen is to give women proper education, affordable contraception, and other screening tools. Even as someone who is pro-choice, I support reducing any amount of medical intervention, such as abortion, by providing ways to mitigate the need for it. It is important that we are able to provide the least invasive medical intervention while still providing the bodily autonomy that all people deserve. Do you know who provides these things and other life-saving services? Planned Parenthood. It is imperative that we reflect and take a realistic view of the world. The only way to reduce the quantity of abortions is to give people quality tools to do so. That I why stand with Planned Parenthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment