Two women seeking equality in a state where some couples are more equal than others.

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Food Idea: Homemade Oatmeal

Rebecca loves oatmeal. Last year, we went through a lot of instant packets. For the last few months, Rebecca has been trying to get healthy, slim down, be more active, increase energy, and reduce inflammation. 

Enter the breakfast makeover. I eat a lot of eggs for breakfast, but she felt that was too heavy for her and wanted to keep complex carbs as part of her morning. I decided to attempt homemade oatmeal that would still have a light feel and a little sweetness, but would pack more protein, fiber, and nutrients.

I've succeeded, apparently. I didn't get to making oatmeal ahead for her for yesterday (didn't get through my gay agenda), so she ended up eating instant again. She told me that she noticed that she was hungry much sooner and had less energy (not so good when you're working a 12 hour shift and might not get lunch because lives hang in the balance).

I don't have a recipe exactly- my regular readers know that by now. But I'll share my method and principles so you can try.

You'll need fruit (or possibly vegetables if you're daring- I should have a go at a carrot cake version) that won't curdle milk (so avoid citrus and anything else acidic). You also need some form of milk. I think dairy milk is fine, but Rebecca is sensitive to dairy, so I usually use cashew, almond, or coconut milk. Obviously, you'll need some form of oatmeal. Rebecca prefers quick oats, but you can use rolled if you like that texture. I don't know about steel cut, so if you try this, let me know how it goes. Lastly, you need spices and dried fruit. I've used dried cranberries, figs, mango, and candied ginger. I also love cinnamon, vanilla, almond extract, nutmeg, cardamom, and even chili powder. Warming spices boost metabolism and curb appetite, and ginger has anti-inflammatory effects. All of these things will also trick your palate into believing there is more sugar than there is.

If you're using apples, I like to start them sautéing while I dice the dried fruit and candied ginger (if you use dried cherries or cranberries you can leave them whole). If you're using mashed  banana or pumpkin purée, you can add this with the milk.

Once the apples are soft, if you're using them, add the milk. You want about twice as much liquid as oatmeal, so take your fruit into account if you're using mashed banana or pumpkin purée. Add the dried fruit so that it can soften a little and flavor the liquid. Also add your spices to taste. Bring your liquid to a boil, and then add your oatmeal and cook according to package directions or however you prefer.

We tend to keep a big batch in the fridge for Rebecca to microwave, since leaving the house at 5:15 makes it tricky to get done in the morning.

This is part of Rebecca's "happy, healthy, wise" push. We don't believe that eating well has to sacrifice taste. I especially believe that feeling better is the best incentive for eating better.

No comments:

Post a Comment