Two women seeking equality in a state where some couples are more equal than others.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I Kissed a Girl

So the plot for a few episodes of Greek, an ABC family dramedy about fraternity/sorority life at a fictional university, a character, Rebecca Logan, explores her sexual preferences, and this statement occurs:

"Last weekend I kissed a girl. And I liked it. Does that make me a lesbian? I just wish there was a way to know for sure. Like a pregnancy test for gayness."

This reflects the stereotype that lots of people experiment with same sex encounters during their undergraduate years. I have no idea what percentage of people actually do this, but I would guess it's a smaller percentage than one might think.

Unfortunately, this gives people the idea that attraction to members of the same sex is a phase, particularly if people come out later in life. I've run into this, as has Rebecca and at least one other gay friend. This gives people the idea that being gay is a choice, that something will change, that there's no permanence or stability to the life of an LGBT person.

In the show, Rebecca returns to straight life after a few episodes. This doesn't reflect reality for many of us.

After my first kiss with Rebecca, I knew that we were meant to spend the rest of our lives together. Annie on My Mind made so much sense to me; it spoke to me in ways that no other story had (and I was a voracious reader as a child). It wasn't fleeting or transient. I didn't need a pregnancy test for gayness. I finally understood myself and what had been going on for so many years.

I kissed a girl and I liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment