Two women seeking equality in a state where some couples are more equal than others.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

MI Love: Milk

I grew up on milk three times a day. I don't drink it quite that much anymore, but it's still an important part of my diet.

One milk-based recipe I've been making a lot lately is batido, which is kind of like the Ecuadorian version of a milk shake (batido means beaten). My host mom used to make them for breakfast. Here's the recipe:

Batido de Banana

1 banana
Glass of milk (preferably Bareman's or another MI brand)
3-4 Strawberries, optional

Toss the banana (and strawberries, if you're using them) in the blender and add a few tablespoons of milk. Puree. Add the rest of the milk and hit whip (or frappe, or whatever button on your blender will beat air into your beverage). Allow to beat until frothy. Serve in a tall glass (tiny umbrella optional).

I've tried this with almond milk with good results, if you're lactose intolerant (like Rebecca) or vegan. I'm not sure all milk alternatives would work equally well, since different products will accept different amounts of air beaten into them.

No comments:

Post a Comment