Two women seeking equality in a state where some couples are more equal than others.

Monday, January 2, 2012

His Absence, My Absence

I apologize for my absence. My brother passed away during finals week, and I haven't really known what to say. He is absent from his earthly body now, which means that he is present with his Lord Jesus. I grieve knowing that I will see him again someday, but hoping that day will be a long time from now and understanding that I will always miss him deeply.

Josh was a beautiful soul. His kindness, joy, and patience were evident to many of the people whose lives he touched. He was known as the campus unicyclist at Grand Valley State and performed in several talent shows, juggling and unicycling to the delight of the audience. He was also a dedicated runner, posting ever-faster times to facebook. His intramural soccer team, Facepalm, played with enthusiasm.

He was also the only member of my family who planned to attend my commitment ceremony. He acknowledged that he didn't completely approve of my choice, but he was willing to grant me the grace of his love and acceptance in the form of his presence. That meant the world to me.

1 comment:

  1. Erin, I'm so sorry for your loss. I can only imagine how heartbreaking it must be to lose someone so young. I hope you take comfort in knowing that he would have been at your commitment ceremony if he could.

    ReplyDelete