Two women seeking equality in a state where some couples are more equal than others.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Anniversary

Okay, so it is not really my anniversary. In fact, my anniversary was almost a month ago. I haven't updated this blog in more than a year. Here's what's happened in the meantime:

Rebecca and I moved to Wyandotte, Michigan. If you've never heard of this place, the best way to describe it's location is for me to tell you that you could get in a boat on the river in downtown Detroit and float down the river to downtown Wyandotte.

Rebecca started her third year of medical school at Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital.

I worked as a teaching assistant in a summer enrichment program in southwest Detroit. I also got certified as a GRE instructor for the Princeton Review and became an aunt.

I applied for and interviewed for numerous jobs for the fall. Eventually, the only full-time one that materialized worked out to be at Oakland University in Rochester, Michigan. This is a 75 minute or more drive from Wyandotte.

The job at OU ended up being less than ideal and I had a health crisis, so I left. A job actually using my MA TESOL opened up in Madison Heights and Oak Park. These are cities in southern Oakland County that are about a 45 minute drive from Wyandotte. While these jobs were less than ideal, they were an improvement in every way over the job at OU, so I tried to be grateful.

In the meantime, I got certified as an ACT instructor for the Princeton Review.

The ESL school year ends this week and I'll be trying to make a living teaching test prep for the Princeton Review.

In January, I was accepted to do a Ph.D. in Higher, Adult, and Lifelong Education at Michigan State University. In August, we'll be moving back to East Lansing.


No comments:

Post a Comment