Two women seeking equality in a state where some couples are more equal than others.

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Wow, I Wish I Were Sleeping

It's 12:30 AM, and I am wishing to be asleep. I have insomnia (on a more and more regular basis, lately), and I've discovered that I am rarely productive in the middle of the night.

Tonight was a small exception. I started looking at wedding invitation designs online. I'm thinking something orange, because Rebecca loves it (you should see our dining room if you don't believe me). I might also consider purple, since we both love it, and there are probably some very sassy designs out there in one of those two colors.

I have no idea how much invitations are supposed to cost. My plan is either to order them online through VistaPrint or PrintingforLess, or to purchase a set at an office supply store and print them at home. I don't need anything too fancy.

Then there's also the question of what to put on the invitations. There's the obvious: our names, the date, time, and venue, and where to RSVP. There's also the obvious NEVER included - where the couple is registered. However, I've noticed that many wedding invitations appear to be sent from the parents of the bride or from both sets of parents. In our case, that's not the case, but we still want to make it clear that there are people in our lives supporting us, and we certainly don't want to be disrespectful to the parents who are less than excited about our coming commitment.

We said that this didn't need to be traditional, and it doesn't. I don't mind changing things that I feel are old-fashioned or unnecessary. However, I don't want to be tacky. How important is it to pretend that the invitations didn't come from us? Is there a good way to handle that?

5 comments:

  1. I think the from the parents thing is a tradition that goes along with the tradition of the parents paying for everything, so technically in those cases the parents are the ones putting on the wedding/reception, thus the invites are from them.

    Maybe instead of "So and so and So and so invite you to the wedding of..." which would be the traditional form, you could do something like "Erin Sutton, daughter of so and so and Rebecca Busk, daughter of so and so invite you". That way it would be from you guys without dissing your parents by completely leaving them out. Or you could make the wording more casual in some way so it seems less like the traditional form minus parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had discussed saying something like, "Rebecca and Erin, together with their loved ones, invite you to join in the celebration of their commitment." What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I think that sounds fine. Of course I don't know your families, but to me it sounds inclusive without faking who it's from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After seeing your comment on my post, I realized that my stupid feed reader wasn't updating your posts. :( I agree with keljopy. My dad paid for my wedding (mostly because i promised it was going to be in the Catholic church), so our invitations said that our parents invited them. For couples that pay for them on their own, they usually don't mention the parents at all. "XX and YY invite you" is mostly about money. And I think we spent like ~$150 on wedding invitations that probably got sent out to 150ish people. If you were in a real DIY sort of mood, I'm sure that you could do it for way cheaper. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, we're not going to send out that many invites and I definitely hope we can do it cheaper than that. We've gotten tips from a few married friends for how to get a good price, so when it gets a little closer and we get back to the States, we'll look into it.

    ReplyDelete